From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:18:56 -0700
On 22 Aug 2002, at 19:26, Kyle Elmblade wrote:

> The ones I would stay away from would be the HP's and the Compaqs.
> The HPs apparently have some problems with battery life, and
> replacing them ain't cheap.  I must admit I am basing this on the
> experience of some of my peers. I have had very little hands-on
> experience with them.
>
> The Compaqs are a different story all-together.  I've had to deal
> with about ten of them over the years, and have yet to meet one that
> hasn't had one problem or another.  Hard drives crashing, mouse
> controllers going bad, modems going bad, screens quit working, and
> one time I worked on one that had a bad transistor on the
> motherboard.  I've never really had anything good to say about ANY
> of Compaq's products, however, so my opinion in this area may be a
> little biased.  Pretty much, the laptops I have had to deal with I
> only saw because the owner came to me with problems.  I would NEVER
> sell or recommend a customer buy one.

  I haven't had much experience with Toshiba or HP, but Dell and IBM
have held up like champions, and the only Compaq I've used spent
three of its first four months of service awaiting repair -- and then
turned out to have only a 90-day warranty.  Not again anytime soon!

Dave Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com