From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:06:52 -0600
At 06:57 PM 6/4/98 EDT, David A. Abbe wrote:
>Hi yet again gang,
>
>I have heard of the necessity of burning in a new system......And I have
>heard this is bogus........  When firing up a computer for the very first
>time, no OS, no nutin, just the components installed, is it or is it not
>necessary, and how do you do it?  It's just a stress test, so to speak,
>right???

The idea behind a burn-in is to find any weak components up front.
Typically, something over 80% of all hardware failures occur in the
first 30 days of a system.  If you run a system hard looking for that
weak component with a burn-in, you can solve the problem up front
while the component can be "easily" replaced under warranty.

Check out our Files area on PCBUILD's web page:

  http://nospin.com/pcbuild.html

You will find a nice little application for running a burn-in on your
system.

ß0ß WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : VPLANETS
                         PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES