From:
Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:40:45 -0400
What I have is an MSI MB, model # 6566E with a 478 socket. Checked with MSI. The board will accept a 2.8 GHz CPU with 1 MB cache and a 533 FSB. It currently has a 2 GHz P4 CPU with 512 MB cache and a 400 MHz FSB. I really don't know how much of a difference a faster CPU will make. All I can tell you is another computer I built also had an MSI MB with a 1.7 Celeron CPU and 512 MB of Ram. I up-graded it to a 2 GHz P4 CPU and 2 GB RAM. It made a huge difference. My plans are to put a 2.8 Ghz CPU and 2 GB RAM in this computer. I'm not a computer tech but I know enough to be able to build a computer or two by recycling parts from computers left at the tranfer station. If I can't find what I need at the transfer station I'll look on-line for used parts. That's where I came across a P4 CPU with a "Prescott" core. The ad said it would not work in older MB's because it uses faster memory than an older MB can work with. I have never heard of this before. That's why I posted here.

I also need to know about using ECC vs non-ECC RAM and CP3200 memory in a CP2100 system.

Thanks,

Tom