From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:01:09 -0400
At 10:55 AM 9/4/00, you wrote:
>What is the purpose of a
>DSL/Router and what would a DSL/Routers advantages/disadvantages be over
>a DSL modem with a Proxy Server?

A Cable/DSL router serves two purposes as far as I'm concerned.  The first
is that it frees up the computer that you would be running the proxy server
software on.  For example, I do a lot of tinkering with my main machine and
if I wanted to switch over to an operating system that would not run proxy
software, the other machines on the network would lose connectivity to the
internet.  With the router, any machine can connect to the internet at any
time.

The second benefit is that most of the routers available today come with a
firewall built in to them.  This is usually more effective at blocking
hackers than a software firewall would be.  I have the Linksys router and
have not had a "detectable" hack attempt made since I put it online.  Of
course, if a hacker is good enough and really wants to get through there is
likely almost no way to stop them.

And a third benefit I just remembered was that I could take the second
network card out of the machine serving as the proxy server.  On some
computers it is just amazing how much better they run with only one NIC
installed.

Good luck.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html