Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:19:39 -0700
Rob-
I would suspect the modem or the connection between the modem and the
computer. The modem appears to reporting a higher connection capability
during the handshaking portion of the initial connection to the ISP but then
degrading to a lower speed. This in turn causes the modem at the ISP to drop
the connection. Suggest you check the line between the modem & computer. Try
a different cable. Also, it is possible the modem has a thermal component
that is limiting the connection capability.
Suggest you check out these sites. You might find an answer for the
initialization string and/or other solution.
http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml

http://www.modemhelp.org/

http://www.usrobotics.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

Hope this helps.