From:
Julius Militante <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:47:13 -0500
Hello to everyone!  Maybe someone can clarify the workings of the PC Card
and PnP with Windows 95 (version ?) in an IBM ThinkPad 760EL (Pentium 100
MHz (I think) with 32 RAM).  I am fairly new to computer systems and system
set-ups, hence the following stupid question.

I got this laptop used from a friend and the modem (US Robotics Megahertz)
in the PC card slot worked perfectly as it was.  For some reason (my
fumbling around with the a Disk cleaning program?), the modem stopped
working.  After snooping around the control panel, I just decided to take
out the card, delete the modem from the device manager dialogue, and
reinstall as new hardware using the 'add hardware' in the control panel.
Windows found no new hardware.  I manually choose the modem from the list
and in the end, the device manager indicated that the modem (COM 1) worked
properly with no conflicts or what.

But still the modem  did not work.  Using the Modem prompt itself in the
control panel, I tried to use the diagnostic option but the reply was that
the modem wasn't responding.  Using the PC Card icon in the control panel,
the computer said that the 2 sockets were empty.  (Aside from the modem,
there is also a LAN card in the PC Card slot, which I didn't reinstall.)

What am I missing in trying to get this modem to work?  Thanks in advance.

Julius

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>