From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:40:53 -0800
I just installed the same card.  I originally formatted and installed Win 98
(clean) on it while it was connected to a channel on the mobo.  I have
temporarily moved it to the promise card, but when I've finished doing
everything I'll put it back on the mobo channel.  It runs fine on the
Promise card.  It's anyone guess when you will have a problem.  I have an
ASUS P3V4X mobo, and it has had no problem with this card.  I am running my
zip drive on it now without a problem, and have had no problems with reading
zip disk created when that drive was connected to the mobo.  I put in the
Promise card so that I could have my CD-ROM, CD-RW, and zip drive along with
two or three hard drives.  I may permanently connect my 3rd hard drive (no
OS) to the promise card.  If I have a problem I'll write about it.  Joel

From: William Patton
Date: March 28, 2001

Thank you, I was afraid that this EZdrive software would make this
difficult.  I guess I will have to back up my data and fdisk anf format with
the HD on the Promise card. Thank you, William Patton

>On the Promise WEB site, (and the other manufacturers say the same thing),
>in several places they say that when a drive is "already" setup and running
>(with or with-out EZDrive) and it is moved to the ULTRA100 controller, the
>geometry and/or translation of the drive MAY not be "just right" and the
drive
>"may not" read properly unless it is Fdisked and formatted _while_connected
>_to_ the ULTRA100 controller.
>This, (of course), will destroy all the data on the drive.
>A good back-up, (not an image), or being lucky is called for.

>Many times, users move a drive from one type of controller to another
with-out
>running into these "incompatibilities", but it would be wise not to "count
on"
>having no trouble.
>                     Good luck,  Rick Glazier
>For safeties sake, keep all questions on the list.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com