From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:24:20 -0500
I had that problem with my Scanjet 6350.  I had to unplug the power cord everytime I restarted the computer.  My recollection is that there was a tiny file that had to be downloaded from www.hp.com to fix some problem that XP was having with the USB/SCSI connection.  If you have installed SP2 that could be a problem also.  I am running 3 XP Pro machines with SP1 after uninstalling SP2, and in one case having to do a complete fresh install of XP Pro because removing SP2 screwed everything up.

Another possible problem is that when you uninstalled your 4200 drivers you didn't uninstall the USB virtual port for it.  First go look at the scanjet 4200 downloads on hp.com, and if there isn't a small file to fix the USB/SCSI issue, then do a complete uninstall of the 4200.  Before you do that unplug it from the USB port, then right on the icon for the 4200 and choose properties/ports tab.  Highlight and remove the virtual USB port it is using.  You need a completely clean start, and the USB detritus will screw up every new install.

I assume the installtion for the 4200 is similar to the USB install of the 6350.  Install the driver first, restart, then plug the 4200 directly into a USB port on your computer (don't use a hub) and follow the instructions.  I think XP automatically installs it after that.

As for a new scanner, I got rid of my Scanjet 7450 and bought the Epson Perfection 4870 photo, which I truly love.  It does awesome photos, slides, and negatives.  It has digital ice in its software to get rid of scratches and dings.  It is not as uncomplicated as you'd like, but the results are stunning.

GeneralStuff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have an HP ScanJet 4200C.  Yes, its several years old.  I tried 4 new
> ones because I wanted the faster USB speed, and took them all back because
> either they were less controllable, took MANY more clicks to do simple
> things, had few settable defaults, or the pictures (subjectively, to me)
> were not as good as this one and the software was horrendously
> complicated and aggravating.  The process was actually slower than with the
>
> one I have by the time I actually got the item scanned, partly due to the extra
> selections that had to be made.
>
> Since I reinstalled a clean copy of XP on my HP machine (not easy) and
> reinstalled the scanner - with care, doing everything (software, when to
> plug in, etc.) in exactly the right order according to the instruction,
> my scanner seems to "lose" the driver everytime I turn the PC off.  I
> reinstall the driver (I have tried it both unplugging the scanner from
> the PC and not) and its fine. 20
>
> I once tried a "updated" driver from the HP site, but I hated it - once
> again, more complicated, choices I did not want, etc..  I'm willing to
> buy a new scanner, but I do pretty much the same thing every time I scan
> (best color photograph) and save as .jpg or in a .doc, and I want
> something that doesn't take 5 clicks to do it.
>
> When the "can't find scanner driver" comes up, if I click on
> "troubleshooting" it says the scanner doesn't work under NT, but I was
> running XP when I bought it and it worked fine.  It still works fine,
> unless I turn off the machine.  Also, I believe the driver I'm using is
> one that HP said WOULD enable the scanner to work under XP.
>
> Have any suggestions, guys?  OR, better yet, anyone know of a fast scanner
>
> that creates a great image AND has EASY software with settable defaults?

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.