From:
John Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:13:21 -0400
AL:

Having the fans built into the desk is a great idea (as long as they do not
generate too much electrical noise that interferes with the operation of the
pc). It is just my opinion, but I think the overheating issue can be solved
by putting the metal sides back on the case. The case is designed to create
the necessary airflow over the critical components to keep the pc from
overheating. It may be necessary to add an intake fan on the bottom front of
the case because you graphics card is generating additional levels heat.
Plus, the intake fan will take advantange of the cooler air you plan to
provide.

This is not to say that (if you devised an econmical solution) providing
cool, dry air into the desk's computer compartment is a bad solution. In
fact, it is an excellent idea. Just remember that the sides of the case are
a part of the cooling system, and together with the cooler air provided by
your refrigerated desk (or even just the heat exchange provided by the fans
built into the desk) your pc should run much cooler.

If you come up with an affordable desk cooling unit, I would probably be one
of your first customers. Great idea!

Just my thoughts...
Cheers,
John