From:
Adam Favre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:42:25 -0700
I am currently using the exact same MOBO with the Athlon XP3200+ and a NON-OEM heatsink and fan ( I opted for the Thermaltake).

The siren sound is a definite indication that something is amiss.  I had this same issue due to the non-oem fan I used.  Whatever the OEM fan is supposed to spin at, the Thermaltake one I used spins much slower.  It is a larger fan and heatsink than stock, so this sets of the alarms.  I first got this alarm when I entere the ABIT EQ menu, but you may be getting it sooner through the bios detecting it.  Regardless, I would check under the PC HEALTH menu on the bios. There you will find the the set speeds for the fan, the monitored speeds, and the option to turn off monitoring or alarms.  Once you are able to boot up, you can also lower the expected fan speed the system is looking for in the ABIT EQ menu.  This should shut off the alarm.

If your cpu isn't overheating (remember, 85 or 90 centigrade is the MAX for an Athlon XP 3200), perhaps this is a Power Supply problem.  I had some erattic shut down issues with my system using the stock PSU that came with the Enlight case I purchased.  The wattage was good, but the amps were not.  I started receiving eratic shut downs when I added my ATI 9800pro vid card.  I have since upgraded to an ANTEX TRU 480 psu with more acceptable WATTAGES and AMPERAGES on the 12 v rail (28 amp v. 15).  I haven't used it much yet since the replacement, but we will see if this might solve the problem.  Good luck.  You may wish to check the ABIT forums on ABIT's website.  There are some very helpful (and also hateful) individuals there as well.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com