From:
Ian Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 20:45:34 +1200
FWIW:
As a follow-up to my earlier posts about formatting HDD's to get a single
Primary-Dos partition, but which have occasionally ended up as Non-Dos
instead, I haven't solved the problem completely, but I think I may have an
inkling about what's happening here.

When I use my main desktop PC to format a drive, I connect the new drive as
a subsidiary drive to one of my other drives, sometimes as a slave,
sometimes as a master, depending on how I have my drives set up at the time.

However, my four HDD's run off a Promise PCI UltraATA controller card, while
my IDE ports are used for CD's and ZIP drives.

So I'm beginning to think that maybe this configuration is somehow causing
the creation of the occasional Non-Dos drive.

Several times lately I've formatted new drives in other machines, connected
to the conventional IDE ports, and haven't had the Non-Dos result yet.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand