From:
David Nasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 14:08:39 -0500
Re: Strange stuff on COM3

Good folks,

I run multiple W2k Pro sp1 images on a little desktop
system at home with a Zoom v.90 hardware modem. It has
been running reliably for about 2 years.

In the last month, one of the W2k images often
(not always) produces the following in the event log:

"The serial driver detected a hardware failure on device
 \Device\Serial0 and will disable this device. "

and when I try to dial out the system can't find
the modem.

On another W2k image I seem to have no trouble at
all.

COM3 (on the motherboard) is disabled in the bios.
The modem has always used COM3, IRQ 4, E38.
I've replaced the drivers (serial.sys,
serenum.sys) with the ones from the "good" OS
image. No help.

I see no hard evidence that the problem is in the
hardware. But I could be missing something.
Does anybody have any ideas what might
be causing the problem? How to fix??

  Much thanks,
  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]  **

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml