Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:25:11 -0700
I've never seen a problem with two simultaneous connections. My desktop
came with a wireless card and is connected via Ethernet and wireless as
I type this. It's also a common situation when setting up or
troubleshooting wireless connections.
You say, "...wireless icon in the bottom right of the
 screen shows a connection to my ISP with excellent signal
 strength.", but it's probably showing a connection to the wireless
device, which is not the same.
The next time you see this, reset the modem and that might fix the
problem. You can also rt-click and "repair" this connection.