From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 23:55:20 -0500
>"Tony <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>A friend just installed a 4 GB HD on his Compaq 4472. The computer has
>now 3 HD's, A zip drive and a CD.
(snip)
>He would like for them to be in order, ex.; C,D,E,F,G=CDR..
(snip)
> "TONY"

  I would respectfully suggest you get the system (re-?) installed, and
let DOS run its course.   The drive letters depend on a lot of variables
from machine to machine.
  I might guess that the ZIP drive was internal,
and a " DOS, official" non-removable drive?
For instance, my DOS(7) assigns letters to the hard drive spindles on the
primary channel first, then to the left over partitions on the primary
channel,
starting with the first physical spindle, then the second physical
spindle.
It then assigns drive letters to the partitions on the secondary channel
in the order it finds them on the logical drives, starting with the third
drive
spindle in its entirety, then moving to the forth drive spindle in its
entirety,
OR a CD-ROM (I do not assign a drive letter to the CD in real mode,
and sometimes have four hard drives).

This does not even take into account all the wonderful tricks you can
play on DOS with an LPT1 hard drive and its controller -- and the loading
of its drivers, OR the same thing with a ZIP on LPT1 (instead).

Keep in mind you don't play with the drive letters once the programs
are installed in Windoze.
                 Rick
           (Also),    Please see my NEW question,
                                      Put "CD" on "L"?
                             For a similar line of thought.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]