Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:05:48 -0800
 Venkat-
 If I recall correctly an adsl connection is not much different than a pots
 or plain old dial connection except you have a dedicated phone line. The
 condition of the phone line between your computer and your ISP determines
 how fast your connection is. When you connect to your ISP the modem on that
 end talks (Handshakes) with the modem in your computer. They start at a
high
 rate and then drop down in speed until they find a speed at which both can
 send and receive reliably. Condition of the phone lines and traffic on the
 net have an effect on speed available. I use plain Dial Up and at present
am
 connected at 52 kbps however that is the idle speed. If I upload or
download
 data the speed will be lower. Downloads usually start at about 12 or 13
kbps
 but usually slow down to around 5-7 kbps. If the net is really busy or I
try
 to surf the web while waiting for a download to complete it might slow down
 to 2 or 3 kbps. Go to this site and look around. Maybe you can better
 understand how the system works.
 http://www.modemhelp.org/dsl.html

 Look around the other pages on this site. Lots of good info here.

 HTH
 John Dinges