From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 02:58:46 -0400
Mary:

Thanks for the TechWeb links. Hopefully, somewhere among them is an
answer to my question. My question isn't about how to find out what my
version of Windows loads at Startup - I can do that pretty well myself.
Rather, my question is how to find out who/what determines how much
"system resources" ANY Windows version allocates to "system resources,"
and how that amount of resources is measured.

BTW, 128K seems pretty small for "system resources" used by programs
equalling several Mb. Anyway, thanks again. You're the first person who
has even attempted to explain "system resources." If I don't find the
answer at those links, I'll get back to you.

Jack

On Thu, 24 May 2001 01:06:21 -0500 Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> From: "Jack R Payton" :Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 10:50 PM
> Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Adding RAM
>

> > Fred:
> >
> > I can do %ages, but how do I first find out what *total* "system
> > resources" are available, no matter what Win OS is being used, and
> > whether "system recourdces" can be added to or expanded? thanks.
> >
> > jack payton
> >
> > On Wed, 23 May 2001 22:01:56 -0500 Fred Caldwell
> > writes:
> > > No Not really..........
> > > Resources are used up as your system boots up. I dont know what
> OS
> > > you are
> > > useing but you can look at what all is starting up in the system
> > > config.
> > > utility area found under tools in the system information a sub
> > > director of
> > > systems information. The more that loads up the less % of
> resources
> > > you will
> > > have.
> > >
> > > Fred Caldwell
> > > Computer Boy
> >

> Jack,
>
> Fred Langa wrote 4 articles for Windows Magazine explaining
> resources and resource leaks that should help you understand.  The
> first article can be found here:
> http://www.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/11.htm
> http://www.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/12.htm
> http://www.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/13.htm
> http://www.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/14.htm
>
> The articles explain about System resources in Win 9x  which are not
> the same as RAM.  NT and 2000 handle resources differently and are
> not covered in the article.  System resources refer to 2 very
> specific memory areas within Windows, GDI (Graphics device
> interface) and User resources.  These resources are of fixed size no
> matter how much RAM is installed in the system, if I remember
> correctly I believe they are 128K in size.
>
> Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml