From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:32:14 -0800
From: Capt. Zyla <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2000 6:05 AM
Subject: Static electricity wiped out my mouse

> I recently purchased a new chair and one of those plastic mats that you
> place over the rug. Last night I went to grab my mouse and the screen
> froze. A reboot didn't help. The mouse pointer could not be moved upon a
> reboot. I  replaced the mouse and all is well again.
>
>  Question, Is there any way to reduce the static electricity buildup that
> apperently is building up on my mat and chair? Do they make special mats
> for computer chairs that are anti static?  What about using an anti static
> spray on the mat and chair to reduce this? What about grounding
> Straps being  placed into the mat?

Yes to all of the above. A true anti-static mat should include a strap
since the mat by itself is an insulator. Grounding straps can be
made or purchased to discharge from "mat" to ground. Anti-static
sprays for furniture work great. Also, consider Bounce sheets when
drying laundry. Otherwise, simply discharge yourself prior to using
your computer by touching something metal. And last if you make a
groundstrap you can ground it on the faceplate screw of your wall outlet.

-yui shin

>  It was a fairly expensive chair and floor mat so I hate to have to return
> it.
>
> Thanks;
>
> John Zyla
>
>                PCBUILD mailing list is brought to you by:
>                             The NOSPIN Group
>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html