From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:04:02 -0800
Dean,

Here is what I would suggest.

1.) Set your router to leave a space of addresses that are not automatically
assigned. Usually you specify the start address that the DHCP function
begins at.

2.) On the PC, set it to NOT get the IP address automatically, but assign an
address from the range you set aside in the router to not serve DHCP for.
You will also have to set the gateway (probably 192.168.0.1) and subnet mask
(probably 255.255.255.0) entry manually also. I think you can still have the
name server be assigned automatically (gets it from the gateway).

To get to this screen, right click on "My Network Places"  and select
"Properties". In the "Network and Dial-up Connections" explorer, right click
on the icon for this connection, and select "Properties". In the properties
dialog, click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" line and click
"Properties". In the properties dialog, you can see what the current
settings are. Maybe it is already set to "Use the following IP address",
which would explain why it isn't getting it from the router. If it is set to
"Obtain an IP address automatically", then try the above steps to assign a
fixed IP address to the PC.

See if this helps.

Russ Poffenberger
Credence Systems Corp