From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:43:34 -0800
On 27 Mar 98 at 7:04, Axelrod, Marc wrote:

> About a month ago I read an article about a serious lack of
> resources on new motherboards.  In many cases computer systems were
> being purchased that were unable to support any upgrades
> whatosever.

  I believe I saw that article on ZDNet.  I have not actually seen
such a machine.

> This issue recently hit home with me when I decided to replace my
> existing motherboard to a IWILL P55XB2 (Intel 430 TX Chipset).  I
> installed all of the standard stuff (i.e.; sound and modem) with
> no problem.  Then I tried to install a second LPT port (there is
> one on the board).  I was surprised to learn that there were to
> IRQ's available to support any other device.

  Can you list what IRQs are in use, and for what?  [Try looking at
Properties of the "Computer" (root) node in Device Manager.]  I have
a couple of systems with a lot of peripherals, including one with
mixed SCSI and IDE, and one with two pointing devices; each has a
couple of unused IRQs.  [There are some sound cards that may use up
to three IRQs, but I wouldn't call that a "system" problem.]

> My question is 1) has anyone else encountered these type of problems 2)
> Is there a work around, and 3) Can someone recommend a MB for the person
> who likes to tack on alot of stuff to his computer.

  It's true that the number of IRQs is limited, but I "like to tack
on alot of stuff" and have never run completely out.  I'd like more
detailed information about what's in the machine and which IRQs are
being used by what.

David G