Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:56:39 -0700
I used to have similar frequent slow downs (almost to the point of stopping)
in my computer's performance. After lots of frustration, I turned off the
automatic checking of Windows Update site every 5 minutes and solved the
problem. I then also turned off all automatic checking that was by default
built into other programs.
My experience might be related to your problem. Hope it helps.

Tom Mayer