From:
Joe Trimarchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 21:07:28 -0400
So far I've received 2 replies, Thank You Raymond & Doug, but haven't been
able to get either to work.
I click on Start/Settings/Printers and Right Click on Lexmark Z51 and chose
Properties/Details it shows Print to the Following Port as USB[001] USB
Printer Port. If I then click on capture printer port it lists the port to
capture as LPT1:.

The printer is connected to a small USB Hub. I have no LPT to print to. If I
try to copy a file in DOS to the Printer, i.e. copy file PRN:, or copy file
LPT1:, I get an error printing to LPT1: the Printer is not Ready...

None of the old DOS work arounds seem to apply when using USB. Also these
new Ink Jet Printers do not seem to accept Escape Sequence Codes even if
they are connected to the parallel port/LPT1:

Anyone have any further suggestions?

Thank You,

Joe Trimarchi

Hi all,
I'm no expert but possibly can offer this for consideration:
left mouse click START - SETTINGS - PRINTERS - and then the icon for your
Lexmark printer;
then right click the icon and select PROPERTIES - Details tab, then Capture
printer port.
seems to work for me with an old Dbase program I run. Also when the printer
is installed it asks if it will be used for DOS programs and that must be
answered 'yes' at that time.
Raymond Ryel

Joe,

First you will need to determine how Windows assigned the USB printer
port.  What is the port setting under Start - Settings - Printers - and the
properties of the printer?  Probably the port has been set to LPT3 or
above.  Many older DOS based programs limited printing options to LPT1 or
LPT2.

If you can get it to print to a file (as you indicated you could in your
post), you should be able to copy the *.prn file to the LPTx port in a DOS
window and the file will print.

First determine the LPT port number as described above and open a DOS
window.  At the prompt issue the command:

copy c:\(path to your file\(your file name).prn LPTx
[where "x" is the LPT port number]

When the file is printed you can close the DOS window.

If you have any more questions, let us know.

Doug

At 5/2/01 08:50 PM, Joe Trimarchi wrote:

>I'm using an old dos based program that prints to LPT1: or LPT2: The
program
>is a database manager and was custom written many years ago. The source
code
>is no longer available nor is the programmer who wrote it. I'm running
>Win98SE using a Lexmark Z51 Printer connected to a USB Hub.
>I cannot figure any way to get this program to print directly to this
>printer. The program will output reports to a *.PRN file but I can't figure
>out how to get that to print either. I can open the *.PRN files in Excel
and
>then print but this takes a lot of removing of control characters and
column

---