Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500
Mark,

"I have no built in Memory Stick reader, or writer, on any of my computers,
which is why I am looking for an external device."

In your initial post you stated, "I just bought a Sony Wega. It has a slot
for, and supports a Memory Stick of up to 1GB, and can play back jpgs and
even mp3." If it will read the Memory Stick you should also be able to write
to it.

You said, "Is the Secure Digital Card the same thing Sony calls the
"compact" in their compatibility list? So I could use this and it would work
in the Sony Wega memory stick slot?"

No, it isn't the same format. See the following article:

PCWorld.com - Flash Memory Formats
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,104448,00.asp

The article is from 2002 so prices, etc., quoted doesn't appy now but it
explains the various flash media formats. Sony's "compact", or the Duo, is a
physically smaller Memory Stick.

Also see:

Secure Digital Association
http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html