From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:42:47 -0700
The bad guys out there are getting trickier all the time. Here is what I
would do to BOTH (because they are networked) computers.

Update the anti virus protection for each computer.
Go to the restore function on your his computer. Go to
start/programs/accessories/system tools/restore. Restore the computer to
a date prior to the beginning of the problem. This should restore the
control panel.
If the control panel is restored, go back to the restore screen and
select restore settings. Deactivate the restore function.  If there are
no apparent problems on your computer, deactivate the restore function
on it.
Turn off both computers.
Disconnect one end of the network cable from either of the computers.
Restart each computer in safe mode. Hold down the F8 key while the
computer is starting and when the screen comes up as to which mode you
want to start, select safe mode (only).
After Windows is fully started in safe mode, start the anti virus
program and do a full scan on each computer. If there is not a desktop
icon for the anti virus, you need to go to start/programs and in the
list locate and open the anti virus program. If the program finds a
virus, tell it to heal/fix the condition.
After that is done and if you have anti spyware program(s), do full
scans with it/them on each computer. If any spyware is found, tell it to
fix or delete.
Restart the computers in normal mode (just let them restart).
space only needs to be set to about 3 to 5%. I think the default is
about 12%.
Turn off the computers and reconnect the network cable.
Start the computers.

If you still have a problem, let us know. Reinstalling XP is a last
resort option. The foregoing will likely take a few hours depending upon
the amount of data on each computer.

I hope this solves your problem.

Tom

Sharon wrote:
> We are running windows xp home on a dell B110 Dimension and recently a bug got into Hubbys computer that took away his control panel, placed a screen saver of bugs eating at screen, stops any action I try to take by saying its restricted. Takes for ever to boot up. I've tried safe mode still no control panel, when I right click my computer it stops me
> We have two computers networked by a cable (not computer savvy please look over wording) He had AVG antispyware but it didn't catch it. He clicked on an ad on an automobile tech web page and thats when all this started, it was porn pics...lol. I have a xp home disc but do not know how to reinstall if needed. Any ideas on helping me, btw he doesn't have any important data on his machine to worry about.
> Thanks in advance for any help, I'm a older person who touched her first computer keyboard in 2001...lol

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads