From:
Wanda Irby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 20:07:36 -0600

> > If it is the Wacom that is conflicting, why does it only affect the
> > cardwriter and the modem?  When I try to use the modem...it does
> > nothing.  When I use the cardwriter, it says it is in conflict with the
> > modem and I should reconfigure the modem.  The modem uses IRQ 11 and
> > COM2 but I don't see the Wacom or the card reader on on the IRQS. IRQ 3
> > & 14 are not listed so suppose they are not used.  Only the modem will
> > not work.
> >         Wanda
> >
> Wanda,
>
> I would check the resources that each Com port is using.  The modem is using
> a non standard IRQ (11).  As David G stated above the standard port for Com2
> is IRQ3. Which IRQ is Com3 using?  The Wacom Art pad will not show up using
> an IRQ, only the Com port will show up using the IRQ.  If the card reader
> says it is conflicting with the modem then Com 3 may be also using IRQ 11.
> Try changing the irq of the modem to IRQ 3.  Even though  modems are
> supposed to be able to use any free irq I have found that some modems just
> won't work properly on a non standard IRQ.  I am surprised that you say IRQ
> 14 is not being used at all.  IRQ 14 is the default IRQ for the first IDE
> channel for your hard drives.  Do you have a SCSI system?
>
> Mary Wolden

>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

No, this system is not SCSI.  And the IRQS on it are very confusing to
me.  Don't show up as they do on the old computer (which is SCSI)  The
serial port using com 3 is on the USB hub.  And when I look in the
BIOS--I don't see where to change the IRQS.  It doesn't even tell me
what BIOS it is.  All it has is a bunch of numbers.  And I can't tell on
a lot of things, just what resources they are using.  I unplugged
everything and started over and reinstalled everything.