Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:20:15 -0500
My configuration is as follows:
Dell p4 512ram 1gb disk
Win XP support pack 2 with firewall switched on.
Internet Explorer (version 6)security settings = Low (though would prefer to have them higher!)
Siemens gigaset USB wireless
Siemens 505 wireless router
Cable modem

Problem
1) Internet Explorer (IE6) keeps losing its connection to the internet.

When I first log on to my PC my wireless connection and modem are active and I can ping web sites successfully from the command prompt. When I open Internet Explorer my home page usually opens successfully (http://news.bbc.co.uk).  I notice on the status bar that it flashes up http://news.bbc.co.uk very briefly before opening the page.  After a few navigations I lose my connection.  If I go to the command prompt I can still successfully ping web sites.  If I close Internet Explorer and then reopen I just get the 'web site can not be found' standard page i.e. my connection is lost.  I do notice though that on the status bar that the web site is trying to be contacted by the IP address 212.58.240.143 rather than http://news.bbc.co.uk

It seems that I have a problem with Windows XP but I'm reluctant to reinstall XP cos it will take some time to get back all the stuff I have on my hard disk.

2) XP will not shut down using the normal Start -> Shutdown option.  The only way I can turn off my PC without unplugging or pressing and holiding the off button is if I  use Start -> Log off -> Switch User and then click Turn Off computer on the user selection screen.

If anybody has an idea of what the problems maybe it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>