From:
"Hachmeyer, Mr. Paul S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2013 16:42:02 +0000
Bruce,
I don't have a real solution, just thoughts. I've had strange stuff with my daughter's almost 4 year old hp laptop, also bad battery.  I push the power on button, I get a beep, screen flash, shut down.  Tried a few different hp chargers, for some reason my wife's hp charger seems to charge it for the 10 minutes the battery will hold, only if I remove the battery first and reinsert it.
Will the laptop run off the charger with the battery removed?  Do you have another charger you can try?  I'm not sure, maybe the battery is shorting out somehow and preventing the laptop from running.  I can't account for your file date issues unless your hard drive is going belly up.  If you have an external drive case, you could try to read it from another computer to see if the data is still good, or run a 'smart' scan on the drive also while attached to another computer.  You can probably pick one up for under $15, try meritline.com, newegg.com, etc.  or search on external enclosures, hard drive cases.
Paul