From:
Ian Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:39:55 +1200
I dunno....I must just be a risk-taker.  I ALWAYS upgrade the BIOS when I
work on customer's machines.  So far I've not had any problems, and most
often there have been significant benefits, maybe because the upgrade often
picks up 2-3 years of improvements.

However, I understand from what I read that there can be risks (tho perhaps
the horror stories will always get more publicity than the success
stories...?) so I suppose that one oughta read the details to see if the
upgrade contains any useful improvements.

One other comment I might make is that the instructions for BIOS upgrades
will ALWAYS be in Swahili, (unless this is your native tongue, in which case
the language will be Urdu) and it is usually in code as well.  Try reading
it in a mirror, or upside down, if all else fails.

I guess the reason for this is to ensure that as few folk as possible
actually attempt to carry out a BIOS upgrade, so the writers of the upgrade
stand much less chance of getting blamed for failures.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "bobwarasila" Subject: [PCBUILD] BIOS updating

> I'm at the end of my DIY build and have been to the appropriate websites
> download most recent drivers etc.  One the questions that arises is should
> mess with the BIOS flash.  The Soltek has a revised BIOS which includes a
> few extra monitoring function utilities for the hardware.  Those are the
> only changes as far as I can see.  Should I try the BIOS flash or is that
> asking for trouble if everything is running fine?  I've downloaded
> awdflash.exe, the appropriate *.bin, and the readme file.  I've prepared a
> system disk using W95 and I'm ready to go but I thought I'd consult the
list
> first.
>
> Bob Warasila

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: