From:
"Robert L. Hooton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:58:50 -0500
        Since I upgraded from W 95 to W 98 my computer, when on, randomly answers
the phone.  I have only one phone line.  I have gone through several tech
supports efforts with no luck.  I currently have the Symantec Fax program
bundled with Norton System works Pro Edition. The modem answering option is
unselected and the rings are set to 20.  My answering machine picks on 4.
When the computer answers it is on the first ring and pinging occurs.  It is
totally random.  I may get 10 calls where it doesn't answer and then it will
begin answering every few calls.  The computer is always on during waking
hours so virtually all calls are subject to being picked up by it.  I have
looked at every modem option, DUN option and fax option in the fax program
and in Outlook.  I can't find anywhere else to deselect the answering
option. Any ideas on where to try next.  Haven't looked in the registry.  I
appreciate the mailing list and all the help I have received from it.
Thanks.

Robert L. Hooton

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org