From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:02:54 -0400
Greetings Richard--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stevens" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Moving Hard drives around

> Hi Paul,
>
> I will check this out - and thank you for your full and helpful comments.
>
> Added notes; At the moment the OS system recognises that there is another
> drive present (it is listed as an F drive), and the disk management
> recognises that it is healthy (and active) and has a capacity of 186.31GB,
> and the device manager says that the device is working properly. I believe
> that I have set up the device as a slave unit (with the jump connectors)
> and it is located in the correct hard disc bay. BUT it will not format,
> F:/ is not accessible if you try to open it, and disk management makes no
> statement about partitioning (NTFS).
>
> Will recognition in BIOS be the answer??
-----------end original----------------
I suspect not. If the OS's disk management utility displays the drive as you
have
indicated, then the BIOS appears to have already recognized it and made it
available
to the operating system. Does the drive (F:\) appear when you open "My
Computer"?
If so, try right-clicking on it, and see if the option to format it is in
the context menu.
If it is, left click on it. (From your description, however, it seems to
already be
partitioned, and I'm at a loss as to why, in disk management, it does not
show whether
it is FAT32 or NTFS. That info should be in the first line, fourth column
[File system].)

Good luck and HTH.

Paul A. Shippert
Utilitarian
Margaret Brent Middle School
There is a theory which states that if anyone
ever discovers what the universe is and what
it is for, it will instantly be destroyed and
be replaced by something even more bizarre
and inexplicable.  There is another theory
which states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com