From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:54:28 -0500
Thanks for the reply. Dragon now comes with a microphone and they claim
Version 7.0 will work accurately after 5 minutes of training.
I mentioned the Blackberry because he wants to be able to email the
transcribed document from anywhere, and I assume he won't always have a
wireless network available. (War driving wouldn't appeal to him).
So, the second part of this question is; What device (Such as a Blackberry)
would sync with his laptop and allow him to email from any location?
**************************

I actually did a little research on this subject back in the late 90's for
a college class. The gist of the research is this:
The fastest processor affordable.
As much memory as possible.
Since a laptop has integrated sound, you can't change it easily, but better
quality sound cards produced higher accuracy.
Most important factor.....A QUALITY mic. In this case, a unidirectional,
noise cancelling unit would be best. I'm guessing there will be a fair
amount of background noise. This single factor may make or break the deal.
I'm not sure where the Blackberry device comes in. Most of the V/R mfgs
have their own hand recorders where you talk now, transcribe later. These
units worked but I got better results with a quality mic. Not as convenient
though.uld