From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:39:56 -0600
At 05:47 PM 6/24/98 -0700, Ed Tucker wrote:
>Maybe someone can clear up a little confusion here. What is the difference
>between a 3D graphics card, and a 3D accelerator card, or are they the
>same thing with different names.

Typically the accelerator card is a seperate card from
your video card.  They attach to accessory port on the
side of your video card.   In some cases you route
your monitor cable from the video card and on some you
route it from the accelerator card.

The 3D accelerator typically adds additional features not
provided with a standard video card for Direct3D and Open
GL standards found in many of the newest games; as well
as additional memory to store graphics for rapid deployment,
which in effect gives you smoother flowing graphical displays.

Why an accelerator card?  If you video card has 8mgs and
you add an accelerator card with an additional 8 or 12mgs..
well, you can see the boost in available graphic ram.

BOB WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES