From:
Richard Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:37:15 +0100
on 26.07.98 21:19 Mark Rode wrote:
<snip>
>What is the real difference between the P 100 and the regular 10 ns SDRAM
>and can you mix the two in a 66Mhz board ?
<snip>

Hello Mark,

Question 1: About 2 (or in your case 3) ns. :-)

Ok, I was trying to be cute, but that's the difference in a nutshell.
Intel specs call for 8 ns (did I get this right?) if the memory is to
be labeled PC100. If board and memory work together, this memory is
guaranteed to work at 100 MHz Bus-speed. I've heard from several sources
that plain old 10 ns memory will work at 100 MHz, but that's a maybe
opposed to a definate yes with PC100 memory.At the time there seems
to be huge differences in the quality of the PC100 memory so be sure
your dealer will allow you to bring it back if it doesn't work.

It looks like you're going to be using this board(s?) at
66 MHz so you might as well stay with 10 ns. If you're planning to
upgrade to a 100 MHz board in the NEAR future it might be a good decision
to go with the PC100 memory.

Question 2: Might work, but as memory is usually the most touchy component
in a computer, I wouldn't guarantee it.

>I want....to split them between the two boards with the
32s so I have 96 megs in each.
If your board allows bank interleaving (mine does), I wouldn't mix
different sizes, but would keep one at 64 and one at 128 MB, other
than that you shouldn't have any problems.

Rick Swartz