From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:45:10 +1100
JMB wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is called "cost and profitability".  Our company had
> designed a special radio transmitter system that needed voice and data
> sent to a remote place.  Because the system had an embedded computer, it
> was easy to design it to dial out an external SVD modem.  So after all
> of the R&D to do that, our major supplier of SVD modems told us they
> were no longer going to manufacture them. It seems thay cannot compete
> with the built-in winmodems that are flooding the market.  So another
> good product goes out the window <G> because of cost and profitability.
> And as for why your brethren might design something somewhat amiss,
> blame that on the bean-counters who want the most for giving the least.
>
> It is unfortunate, isn't it.

So sad, you are running into bad luck in the states. the situation here
(Australia) is little different. most customers I meet only ask for ext modems
(only one asked a internal modem, but soon he changed mind and bought an
external modem <after he saw the price differenc - only A$5.00!>). other compuer
shops around also sell more ext modem than int modems. I don't know how about
other cities, but the city i stay does like int modems. Ext modems seem like
kicking int modems butt here.

Am i lucky or unlucky?

J Qian

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: