From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:57:57 -0500
[log in to unmask] post:--

<<<I have a HP Pavilion MX70 computer and a HP Deskjet 648C printer.  I recently
upgraded to XPHome and cannot add my printer.  It get to the point to ask me to
insert CD and it appears to be copying files.  Nothing is really happening and I
finally get a Not Responding message.  I think the CD is bad.  Where can I find
a downloadable print driver file to use to add my printer??  Thanks for your
help>>>

Go to the HP web site at the following URL

www.hp.com.

on the right hand side you will get a number of options. click on the "software & driver downloads.  you will get a window with 3 options.

(1)slect a task and enter a product name/number.here you will get 2 "radio buttons" (a)download drivers (b)product & toubleshooting.

(2)automatically detect product name/number.

(3) select a product category (here you will find a list of products)

since IMO you seem to be having problems with your o/s detecting the printer I would suggest you try the (2) option and see if it detects your printer.

NOTE:-this option will enable HP to see what all hardware is installed in your system and possibly more. it will give a list including the printer/model.(pl remember to switch on the printer prior to excercising this option)

If you would rather avoid HP peeking into your system then excercise option(1) by putting a dot on "download drivers" radio button.(a)

give a name and select the location for the driver file and after download install.

check in the add/remove program and if you find that the printer is shown as installed (from your cd) then un-install before you install the downloadd drivers.

HTH and good luck---Venkat

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>