Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:18:17 -0400
What exactly do you consider to be everything? Does this include things like
3D rendering and running state of the art games? An absolute dream machine
now is going to be barely mediocre for such tasks as these in two or three
years. (The fastest computers on the market still can't take full advantage
of games like Descent 3)

Many people I've talked to have the opinion that they should sink some real
money into a computer that will last them a number of years. I used to think
this too. I always had to have the fastest you could get so it would last me
a while. But as the industry continues to move faster and faster, it doesn't
pay.

My own *personal* opinion is to buy what will be adequate for the next year
or two and stay well behind the technology curve and upgrade more often. You
will save money in the end. One of the best examples of this lies in
processor prices. One popular site lists P!!! 600's for $750, 500's for $450
and 400's for $200. (don't post telling me you can get them cheaper someone
else, I don't care, it's still going to be the same type of price curve I'm
trying to illustrate) If a P400 will suit your needs for as little as one
year, buy it now and buy a 600 next year. Till then, the 600 will be the
same price as the 400 now. You end up saving a great deal of money.

The only area where I would really be willing buy top of the line would be
in the case. A good case will last a long time through many upgrades and
they don't become outdated like the other parts. I would look into an
Enlight or Supermicro among others. I'll let someone else on the list who
builds more computers then me handle specific recomendations.

The only way I could justify buying cutting edge is if it's for a business
where you need the absolute greatest power available to keep equipment or
personell from having downtime and causing the business to loose money.

This is very much my two cents worth. I'm sure there are a lot of people
that disagree with me.

--
Adam Gosnman

> I would like to get a very personal opinion on what would be the dream
> machine, a system good for almost everything something that I can use for
> the next four or five years with no problems on compatibility or
performance

> This is what I have in mind :
>
> Asus MoBo P2B-F or P3B-F
> Intel P III 450 mhz
> Samsung SDRAM PC 100 ECC 64 MB or 128 MB
> Diamond V7700  TNT2 32 MB
> HD Maxtor  UDMA 6.4
> Mitsumi CDRom 32X
> Sound Blaster Live Value
> USR modem fax/voice 56K v90
> Monitor Princeton EO900
> Benwin Flat Speakers
>
> Also I need some advice on choosing the case (Brand and model)
>
> TIA
> Bill Aguero

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html