From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:31:13 -0700
 From my research, you will need to upgrade the existing LV7MM2 mother
board to accept the architecture of the new CPU. While at NewEgg take a
look at the ASRock 939 Dual - SATA2 motherboard. It seems to have the
most flexibility to handle any other existing components you may want to
reuse and it has very good user reviews. BTW the San Diego looks great
and has very good user reviews. You should buy "retail" so that you get
a compatible heat sink and fan. Also, one reviewer mentioned that it
does not come with any heat sink compound. So, if you don't have any,
include a tube with your order.

The C2280 only has a 300 Watt Power Supply. You might want to check with
NewEgg to see if your intended upgrade might overtax the PS.

Also, the C2280 only came with 256MB of PC2100 RAM. This is nominal for
an XP system and XP likes at least 512MB. You should get at least 512MB
of PC3200 RAM for your rebuilt system so that you can fully utilize the
new CPU power. Do not reuse the existing RAM as it would slow the system
down.

You might want to check out the price on new computers. For about the
same cost as the forgoing parts you can buy a new computer equivalent to
what you would end up with after completing the upgrades. And you would
have a warranty on the complete new machine; you would save on the
labor; and you would still have the existing computer that you could use
for backups.

Good luck and have fun. I hope this has helped.

Tom Mayer

Dan wrote:
> I currently own an E-machine model C2280 with a AMD Athlon XP Processor. In order to use the Adobe Premiere Elements software program I need a SSE2 supported CPU such as the AMD Opteron or Athlon 64. My question is if I buy a Athlon 64 San Diego CPU from newegg.com, is it a simple swap with the old CPU or is there much more involved?
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads