From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:26:43 -0500
Sorry Daniel, but Jean is correct.

DOS does not have (and never has had) the ability to store more than 8
characters in a file name.  What may be confusing you is that if you run a
DOS shell from within windows9x (and NT?), it can deal with LFN but a true
DOS environment can not.

And then, as Jean pointed out, there were/are several DOS-based
applications that could make a file "appear" to have a longer name by
creating a database-type file with a cross-reference of the true 8
character filename to a longer name which that application created.  But
once you transferred the file to a system without that special program,
the file was back to it's 8dot3 name.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====