From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:55:00 -0600
Inigo, overclocking a Celeron is sometimes a chancy operation, especially
when the clock speeds get higher, like yours.  With a 100MHz front side bus,
your Celeron is running at something around 800MHz which is pretty close to
the max core speed of the Celeron.

The old 300-400MHz Celerons were overclockable at 100MHz because at those
speeds you weren't pushing the limits of the processor's maximum core speed.

On the other hand, if you're committed to overclocking your Celeron, then
try a lower speed, say 75MHz for the front side bus.  You may find that you
need to raise the core voltage of the processor to compensate for the
additional speed.  But be careful, because the increase in voltage
translates into an increase in temperature.  Also, if you increase your
front side bus speed, you need to consider the effect that the clock speed
has on your PCI bus.  At around 80-83MHz, many PCI cards will quit working
since the PCI bus is derived by dividing the front side bus by 2...at
40-44MHz, a lot of cards don't work.  Around 90MHz, the PCI divisor is 3, so
the cards will work again...but your processor might not.

Overclocking seems like a great deal...you spend a little on a processor and
get a lot of performance out of it, but it doesn't always work.

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group