From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:27:48 -0500
Hi,

I would try going in to the OS in safe mode.
Go to the device manager and remove any and all
device drivers listed under the sound.

Actually, remove any and all device drivers under all other components that
you know for sure are not for that new main board.  Even if you remove the
ones for the new board
when the system boots up in normal mode you can reinstall the main board
driver disk.

That should clean up the device drivers so the sound will work

At 07:49 PM 02/05/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I transplanted a hard drive with Win98SE installed on it from an old
>Gateway P2-350 system to a whitebox ECS P6VEM3 motherboard based system
>(Via C3 GigaPro CPU with SiS chipsets) and managed to get everything
>working with the new hardward except for the onboard audio (and SiS 7801).
>The most recent Win98 drivers are installed, the device shows up in
>Device Manager, but it can't be selected as an Audio Playback device in
>the Multimedia Control Panel.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling
>the device, no joy.  I've pulled the hard drive out stuck another one in
>and installed Win98SE from scratch and loading the SiS 7801 drivers and
>the audio works fine so I know the motherboard audio is good.
>
>Anybody got any ideals as to what's going on and how to fix it?  I'm
>guessing it's something in the system registry that needs to be manually
>removed?
>
>--
>Kerry Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Computer Troubleshooters of Katy LLC
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                          http://freepctech.com

Thanks,

Joe