From:
Mark Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:24:09 -0500
Hello,

I'm buiilding a new system: Asus A8N-SLI  (socket 939), Athlon64
(3700MHz+), and a fresh install of XP Professional 64.

XP does not see the onboard ethernet. (It DOES see the onboard 1394,
interestingly enough, even though there's nothing on it.) The
connection and activity LEDs near the ethernet jack indicate a good
(100bits/s) connection, and activity, so I have to believe the h/w is
okay (or do I?  it occurs to me that those LEDs might not mean much
from the cable inbound....). The cable modem and router are fine; my
older desktop is running off of them without issue.

I've gone through the "connect to the internet" wizard (for always-on
broadband) and have poked around in Hardware Manager a bit - can't
find anything there.

Note that when I installed XP the ethernet port was disabled. I have
since enabled it in the BIOS and rebooted. Also I have not yet
installed anything from the ASUS CD - I want to get a clean update of
XP first.

The ethernet port is an NVIDIA design, but that's about all I know
about it.  I understand there have been some issues with these -
should I perhaps just forget the onboard ethernet and go out and get
myself a NIC?

Thanks....

Mark Shaw
Allen, TX