From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:28:57 -0500
Hi all,

Thank you, Bob, and everyone else for being so generous with your
expertise.  Sounds like there is more than one way to skin this cat.

I probably should have originally told you that the laptop is an IBM
Thinkpad and, under Network Adapters in Device manager it has:

    Cisco Systems 350 series PCMCIA wireless LAN adapter
    Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection

Is it possible that I could get some kind of wireless hub to install on
my desktop and use a wireless network with the laptop to transfer
files?  I guess if I had that capability I would be able to access my
slow dialup internet connection with the laptop in addition to
transferring whatever files I needed.

I'm sorry I didn't say something before.  I know almost nothing about
what to use or how to hook it up.  All this networking stuff came along
after I retired.

Loy

Bob Lendrim wrote:
> Loy,
> The best way and most accepted way may be a network, but with my limited experience, I have had problems networking. For transferring files, I have been using a USB "bridge" cable for years. My first was a USB 1.1 version and I now use a USB 2.0 version. They have come with very easily installed CD software. Just install the software on each computer you wish to work with. Then connect the cable to the respective USB ports and start the software on each computer. You can move files and folders between computers just as you do using Windows Explorer between drives on your single computer. It's very inexpensive and absolutely foolproof. Here is an example of the device from Tiger, but I have seen many brand names over the years. You can't use an ordinary USB cable, you have to get one made for the purpose. Try to use a USB2 device and have USB2 ports on each computer, or transfer will be much slower. You can get a USB2 PCMCIA card for the laptop if necessary to speed things up.
> Good luck, Bob Lendrim
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=935363&CatId=445

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com