From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:45:35 -0700

James,

Probably not a good idea. With a RAID, you need equally matched drives. I
believe you would see this RAID array as 144GB (2x the smaller capacity
drive). In addition, the two drives are mismatched in speed, so the RAID
would only be as fast as the 7200rpm drive. You would be wasting the premium
price paid for the faster Raptor.

> My questions are as follows.
> 1.) Will it "overheat" per se, because I've seen things such as HD
> coolers meant for RAID set up's but its 50$ so i was wondering if it
> would be necessary in a 5 fan cooling case.

I have been running a 2x 37 GB Raptor RAID 0 array for almost 2 years
without heat issues per se. (Heat is always an issue, but the Raptors do not
exhibit any heat related issues and while warm/hot to the touch, are not
significantly different from other PATA drives I have installed.

> 2.) Is it even worth doing? and if so will noise be a necessary issue
> to tackle (i've heard they get "loud" but I have nevr had experiance
> with that so what is "LOUD" in computers? I dont want it sounding like
> a lawnmower loud but for example the 5 fans running at 24 Dbs dont
> bother me... So i dunno heh any help?

I have 4 fans + cpu fan running, a total of 5 drives, and really don't
notice the drive noise. I suppose in a silent room, is would be noticeable,
but with normal ambient noise (people, radio, television, outdoor noises), I
don't notice the noise unless I turn everything else off and then turn off
the computer. Then I notice the silence.

I have been happy with the Raptor RAID 0 array from the point of view of
performance. A slight increase in benchmark performance and the system feels
more responsive.

Don't store any important data permanently on a RAID 0 setup. I had the
unfortunate situation where a computer glitch of somesort made my setup
unbootable. The data on the RAID 0 was essentially lost (I did have a
backup). The drives cannot be simply placed on another system and read like
you can with a single drive setup. The RAID hardware/software must match,
and then pray. I was lucky enough that after trouble shooting for a weekend,
taking the system apart and putting it back together, it booted again.

> THanks!!

I find that a Raptor RAID 0 for the OS and "temporary" data storage provides
for a quick responding system. Spring for a second Raptor and run the two in
a RAID 0 and use the single 250 gb for backup storage. I find it useful to
image the OS and program partitions with TrueImage (or Ghost or other
imaging program) periodically to provide a quick backup and restoration
route in case of problems. I can't tell you how many times an image has
provided the means of restoring a working system in less than 30 minutes,
versus a day of OS and program installation.

Good luck with your setup.

Jim Maki

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml