From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:15:45 -0700
Linux has it's own command line FDISK and front end program called Disk
Druid that few users can figure out. The best way to install Red Hat 6.2 is
to leave your hard drive unpartitioned and boot off the install CD and then
let the setup program run. Disk Druid will present itself during the
install process and allow you the option of using Linux FDISK. This is
nothing like a DOS  Windows install. Even the command line is different.
For example In Linux ls = dir and everything is case sensitive. I have been
able to use Disk Druid only once while following the <Linux for Dummies>
book and I know many Linux Gurus who can't figure it out.  I prefer to use
Linux FDISK which has little in common with DOS FDISK. But I started out
with FDISK back in version 4 so I am use to it.

A full install of Linux Red Hat 6.2  will result in about 1.5 GB of hard
drive space most of which is unnecessary to the vast majority of users.
There are lots of different ways to install Linux. Explaining all the
details and alternatives of using Linux FDISK or Disk Druid to prepare a
hard drive for  Linux native partitions and swap partition and to go
through the install process is beyond the scope of  this post. There are
entire books dedicated to the Linux install. I highly recommend you
purchase a Red Hat 6.2 manual and maybe even a step by step third party
book to get through the install process for the first time.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group