From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:52:13 -0500
At 12:10 AM 03/14/2001  you wrote [on PCBUILD]:
>I'm looking to buy a scanner to replace....
>A SCSI driven would be better but for portability I'm
>thinking USB or parallel, I hear USB is faster....

Jose:

I believe the newer USB models have most of the bugs worked. However, I've
always liked SCSI, which is the interface what I prefer (on HP scanners,
mostly). What kind of portability are you seeking? Hookup to a laptop? Use
on other people's PCs?

You could get a SCSI PCMIA card for your laptop (if you have other reasons
for SCSI interface, like an external CDROM burner). Alternatively, you can
get a Parallel-to-SCSI adapter, which is slower (and more frustrating to
use) but useful on older PCs lacking the USB port.

However, USB is the cost effective way to go. The extra $50 for a SCSI
adapter may be better put into a better USB scanner.  Good scanners easily
cost over $200. The software is important, too. You want an application
that is easy to use yet powerful (unless you don't mind the learning
curve). Photoshop is great if you can afford to buy it and learn it.

IMO, parallel port scanners should be avoided, regardless of any price
consideration.

Regards,

John

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,