From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 01:10:39 -0400
Regarding cleaning:
Did you clean under the green processor shield? I've seen huge
accumulations there. Did you remove the front cover?  Check out this
shot from my blog last month:
http://hughva.blogspot.com/2009/05/more-on-dirty-computers.html
On the right you see that the grill is almost completely blocked, and
the HD on this machine was dead.
Do you still get the blue screen at boot? Are any file names showing?
Typically, these machines are very reliable, but after 5 years it
wouldn't surprise me if you had a HD problem.
Try booting from the XP install CD to see if the HD is recognized. If,
a repair install may help.
Your IDE warning just indicates there was no CD in the optical drive,
so it couldn't be tested. I wouldn't worry about it, but you can run
a custom test on the CD if you really want.
You might consider running the long test on the HD as well.