From:
Goran Halfvarson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 00:31:59 +0200
Bob,

I do not know your specific router, but perhaps I can shed some light:

1. Your router provides firewall protection by means of NAT.
This means that the IP addresses (which should be from dedicated set of
private IP addresses) cannot be seen, nor accessed, from the outside WAN
(internet). Normally no special configuration has to be done, this is basic
functionality of a broadband router.

2. NAT is built into the firmware of the router.

3. Yes, leave ZoneAlarm etc in place.
A SW firewall will prevent unauthorized outgoing access from your computers
to the WAN (internet). E.g. trojan horses will be prevented from accessing
their "masters". (A SW firewall will also prevent unauthorized incoming
access, if access has not already been stopped by the NAT router.)

Good luck!
/Goran Halfvarson, Sweden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com