From:
John Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:56:07 -0500
Merill,
     Try this experiment.  In the Power Scheme, under the APM tab,
uncheck the Enable Advanced Power Management Support.  Then test your
system.  That should keep it from powering up without pressing the power
switch - however, on shutdown - you will most likely get the notice that it
is Safe to Power Down (words to that effect) and you will have to press the
power button to fully power down.  Personally, I would leave the Advanced
Power Management Support on and use a surge suppressor between the PC and
the outlet and enable/disable power through the surge suppressor's on/off
switch.  The PC would power down but any other devices connected to the
power strip would still have power until you power down the strip.

...John