From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 01:06:17 -0500
Original msg of Phil beaulieu dt.july 07 (clipped)

> "Upon Booting the unit, it comes up with the lowesat possible video settings
16colors, 640x 480. As I was looking an error box opened and said to the
effect
of that the boot file was larger than expected and gave me the options of
accepting the changed size or going back to the older size. I chose the
second
and clicked out "

At least to me it appears to be a weird sort of error msg for the type of problem you seem to be having.

> " It didnt work and I cannot find that error message again.
Help "

from this it is not clear whether everything is fine and that you are not just getting the error msg or you are still stuck with 16 colors and 640x480 display.

anyway i think it is safe for me to assume that the problem still persists.if so in my opinion it is because of a driver problem (corrupted or missing) for your video set up.

so i would suggest the following

(1)if you have on board video on your motherboard then see if you can ascertain the manufacturer and model no. of your mother board and visit their website and download the correct drivers and install

(2)if you have a seperate video card installed the procedure is the same as above and you should get the correct drivers from the video card manufacturers web site.

> " has 4 months old expired Norton AV ,says he did
download a fair bit recently."

not sure about your reasons for referring to norton anti virus but a lot of people have sure encountered weird problems with and without expired norton AV!

HTH and good luck--- Venkat Viswanathan

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads