From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:56:49 -0700
You can either get a grounding wrist strap or, follow Thomas Harold's
suggestion to touch the case often as you are working. However, to
ground through the case, the power cord should be plugged in, if it is a
3 wire grounded connection, and then turn the power switch off on the
power supply and not just the case. Of course, no matter which method
you use, it is always best way is to avoid touching any contact points.

Tom Mayer

Joyce E wrote:
> Super!  Thank you, Tom M. and Lewis E.  That would save me a bundle,
> and lots of time and frustration over the slow performance of this
> beast, too. Hmmmm, of course I was told this by a salesman, but if
> there is any risk of static discharge while I'm installing it, I't'd
> be likely I'd wipe out the new stick, question mark?  (He recommended
> I bring it in, for a total cost of about $135! <grin>)  So besides a
> rubber mat under my feet and on the work table, what would I need to
> insure against that happening?  I have wall-to-wall carpeting, so I
> think the risk may be there...
>
> Joyce
>

>> Installing memory is probably the easiest thing you can do inside the
>> case. You probably have a 256 MB stick now (64 MB used for onboard
>> video)
>> with 192 MB available for the OS and programs. <snip>
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>