Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 03:52:01 +0100
Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for this one?
A friend of mine has a system (sorry, can't remember the details of it) which he says  was working fine until suddenly he got a blue screen and it shut down.
He had apparently changed the processor recently, but it had all been working fine for some time. (How long, I'm not sure)
When I tried to start the system, it powers up fine, and sounds as though it's going to start, but then does nothing.
There is no bios display on the screen, and it doesn't try to access the floppy drive. There is power going through the m/b.
The video card is fine.
I've tried removing everything and restarting with only the videocard connected. there are no beeps.
My guess is that the processor has died.
On quizzing him, I get the feeling that when he installed the new processor and heatsink, he didn't use any thermal paste, because he had never heard of it.I thought thermal paste of some sort was a must.  Would that cause it to overheat and blow? I would have thought it would have. Doesn't the thermal paste help the heatsink draw the heat from the processor?(which in turn gets cooled by the fan?)
Can someone confirm please that if the processor is working ok, and the m/b is ok (which I think it is), there would be a display.(with the video card connected of course)
I've advised him to begin the process of elimination by buying a new processor, but I do want to be sure.
Is there a way of testing a cpu? I didn't have one handy at the time which would fit in his particular socket on the m/b.
This is not a really urgent issue, more curiosity than anything else.
Thanks in Advance
Michele Sayer

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com